Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. bam·boos
1. Any of various usually woody, temperate or tropical plants chiefly of the genera Arundinaria, Bambusa, Dendrocalamus, Phyllostachys, or Sasa in the grass family. Certain species of bamboo can reach heights of 20 to 30 meters (66 to 98 feet).
2. The hard or woody, jointed, often hollow stems of these plants, used in construction and to make various kinds of utensils.
3. Fabric or yarn manufactured from these plants.
[Back-formation from earlier bambos (taken as pl.), from Dutch bamboes, of Malay or Dravidian origin.]
1. (Plants) any tall treelike tropical or semitropical fast-growing grass of the genus Bambusa, having hollow woody-walled stems with ringed joints and edible young shoots (bamboo shoots)
2. (Plants) the stem of any of these plants, used for building, poles, and furniture
3. (Plants) any of various bamboo-like grasses of the genera Arundinaria, Phyllostachys or Dendrocalamus
4. (modifier) made of bamboo: a bamboo fence.
[C16: probably from Malay bambu]
n., pl. -boos.
1. any of various tall, sometimes treelike tropical and semitropical grasses, as of the genera Bambusa,Phyllostachys, and Dendrocalamus, having woody, usu. hollow stems bearing stalks of narrow leaves.
2. the stem of such a plant, used as a building material and for making furniture, poles, etc.
[1590–1600; earlier bambu < Malay, appar. < Dravidian]
Any of various tall grasses having jointed, woody, and often hollow stems. Some species of bamboo can reach heights of 100 feet (30.5 meters) or more. The young shoots of some types of bamboo are used as food.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bamboo - the hard woody stems of bamboo plants; used in construction and crafts and fishing poles|
bamboo - woody tropical grass having hollow woody stems; mature canes used for construction and furniture
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||bamboo - woody tropical grass having hollow woody stems; mature canes used for construction and furniture|
graminaceous plant, gramineous plant - cosmopolitan herbaceous or woody plants with hollow jointed stems and long narrow leaves
bamboo - the hard woody stems of bamboo plants; used in construction and crafts and fishing poles
Bambusa vulgaris, common bamboo - extremely vigorous bamboo having thin-walled culms striped green and yellow; so widely cultivated that native area is uncertain
Arundinaria gigantea, cane reed, giant cane - tall grass of southern United States growing in thickets
Arundinaria tecta, small cane, switch cane - small cane of watery or moist areas in southern United States
Dendrocalamus giganteus, giant bamboo, kyo-chiku - immense tropical southeast Asian bamboo with tough hollow culms that resemble tree trunks
fishpole bamboo, gosan-chiku, hotei-chiku, Phyllostachys aurea - small bamboo of southeastern China having slender culms flexuous when young
black bamboo, kuri-chiku, Phyllostachys nigra - small bamboo having thin green culms turning shining black
bamboo(bӕmˈbuː) noun, adjective
(of) a type of gigantic grass with hollow, jointed, woody stems. furniture made of bamboo; bamboo furniture. bamboes شَجَرَةُ الخَيْزَران бамбук bambu bambus(ový) der Bambus bambus μπαμπούbambú bambus نی؛ خیزران bambu bambou בַּמבּוּק बांस bambus bambusz(nád) bambu bambusreyr bambù, di bambù 竹 대나무 bambukas bambuss; bambusa- buluh bamboebambusrørbambus bamboo [n] بانكس، يو ډول استوايى پو ټى چه ستنى او دلاس لكړې ځنې جوړيږى. bambu bambus бамбук; бамбуковыи bambus; bambusový bambus bambus bambu ต้นไผ่; ไม้ไผ่ bambu 竹子 бамбук بانس cây tre 竹子