Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Funds deposited in a bank that are credited to and subject to withdrawal by the depositor.
1. (Banking & Finance) an account created by the deposit of money at a bank by a customer
2. (Banking & Finance) the amount of moneys credited or debited to a depositor at a bank
n., v. -count•ed, -count•ing. n.
1. an oral or written description of particular events or situations; narrative.
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior.
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.
4. reason; basis: On this account I'm refusing your offer.
5. importance; worth; value; consequence: things of no account.
6. estimation; judgment: In his account it was a miracle.
7. an amount of money deposited with a bank, as in a checking or savings account.
8. an accommodation extended to a customer permitting the charging of goods or services.
9. a statement of financial transactions.
10. a formal record of the debits and credits relating to a particular person, business, etc.
a. a business relation in which credit is used.
b. a customer or client, esp. one carried on a regular credit basis.
12. to give an explanation (usu. fol. by for).
13. to answer concerning one's conduct, duties, etc. (usu. fol. by for).
14. to provide a report on money received, kept, and spent.
15. to cause (usu. fol. by for): The heat accounts for our discomfort.v.t.
16. to regard; consider as: I account myself well paid.
17. to assign or impute (usu. fol. by to).Idioms:
1. call to account,
a. to hold accountable; blame.
b. to ask for an explanation of.
2. give a good account of oneself, to behave or perform well.
3. hold to account, to consider responsible and answerable.
4. on account, as an installment or a partial payment.
5. on account of,
a. by reason of; because of.
b. for the sake of.
6. on no account, under no circumstances; absolutely not.
7. on someone's account, for the sake of someone.
8. take account of,
a. to consider; make allowance for.
b. Also, take into account. to notice.
9. turn to account, to derive profit or use from.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bank account - a fund that a customer has entrusted to a bank and from which the customer can make withdrawals; "he moved his bank account to a new bank"|
giro account - an account at a post office that can be used in similar ways to an account at a bank
checking account, chequing account, current account - a bank account against which the depositor can draw checks that are payable on demand
savings account - a bank account that accumulates interest
tài khoản ngân hàng