Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms.
1. A heraldic bend or baton sinister, held to signify bastardy. Not in technical use.
2. A hint or proof of illegitimate birth.
1. (Heraldry) (not in heraldic usage) another name for bend sinister
2. the condition, implication, or stigma of being of illegitimate birth
1. a putative heraldic charge presumed to indicate illegitimate birth.
2. the condition or stigma of illegitimate birth.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bar sinister - the status of being born to parents who were not married|
|2.||bar sinister - a mark of bastardy; lines from top right to bottom left|
ordinary - (heraldry) any of several conventional figures used on shields
n (Her) → Bastardfaden m