barbette(redirected from barbettes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A platform or mound of earth within a fort from which guns are fired over the parapet.
2. An armored protective cylinder around a revolving gun turret on a warship.
[French, diminutive of barbe, beard; see barb1.]
1. (Fortifications) (formerly) an earthen platform inside a parapet, from which heavy guns could fire over the top
2. (Military) an armoured cylinder below a turret on a warship that protects the revolving structure and foundation of the turret
[C18: from French, diminutive of barbe a nun's barb1, from a fancied similarity between the earthwork around a cannon and this part of a nun's habit]
1. a platform or mound of earth in a fortification, from which guns may be fired over the parapet.
2. an armored cylinder for protecting the lower part of a turret on a warship.