bastinado(redirected from bastinading)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
bas·ti·na·do(băs′tə-nā′dō, -nä′-) also bas·ti·nade (-nād′, -näd′)
n. pl. bas·ti·na·does also bas·ti·nades
1. A beating with a stick or cudgel, especially on the soles of the feet.
2. A stick or cudgel.
tr.v. bas·ti·na·doed, bas·ti·na·do·ing, bas·ti·na·does also bas·ti·nad·ed or bas·ti·nad·ing or bas·ti·nades
To subject to a beating; thrash.
[Alteration of Spanish bastonada, from baston, stick, from Vulgar Latin *bastō, *bastōn-.]
n, pl -does
1. punishment or torture in which the soles of the feet are beaten with a stick
2. a blow or beating with a stick
3. a stick; cudgel
vb (tr) , -does, -doing or -doed
to beat (a person) on the soles of the feet
[C16: from Spanish bastonada, from baston stick, from Late Latin bastum see baton]
bas•ti•na•do(ˌbæs təˈneɪ doʊ, -ˈnɑ doʊ)
n., pl. -does, n.
1. a punishment in which the soles of the feet are beaten with a stick.
2. a blow or a beating with a stick, cudgel, etc.
3. a stick or cudgel.v.t.
4. to beat with a stick, cane, etc., esp. on the soles of the feet.
Past participle: bastinadoed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bastinado - a cudgel used to give someone a beating on the soles of the feet|
cudgel - a club that is used as a weapon
|2.||bastinado - a form of torture in which the soles of the feet are beaten with whips or cudgels|
|Verb||1.||bastinado - beat somebody on the soles of the feet|
beat - hit repeatedly; "beat on the door"; "beat the table with his shoe"