Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A showy, often inexpensive ornament, especially a piece of jewelry; a trinket.
2. A mock scepter carried by a court jester.
3. A shiny, spherical ornament, usually made of glass, used to decorate a Christmas tree.
[Middle English babel, from Old French, plaything.]
1. a showy toy or trinket of little value; trifle
2. a small, usually spherical ornament made of coloured or decorated material which is hung from the branches of a Christmas tree. Usual US name: Christmas ornament
3. (Historical Terms) (formerly) a mock staff of office carried by a court jester
[C14: from Old French baubel plaything, of obscure origin]
1. a cheap, showy ornament; trinket.
2. a scepter carried by a court jester.
[1275–1325; Middle English babel, babulle < Old French babel, baubel, of expressive orig.; compare Old French baubelet, bibelot]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bauble - a mock scepter carried by a court jester|
|2.||bauble - cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing|
adornment - a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
trinketry - trinkets and other ornaments of dress collectively