My research on 18th-century Scottish bawdry
and erotica has shown there was a quantity circulating in Scotland throughout the 18th century, in pen and ink, in privately printed books and in cheaply available literature such as chapbooks and broadsides.
It was bought back by Hawker Siddeley in the 1970s and placed on display at RAF Bawdry
The "machine" puns gratuitously, as if to remind us that what had seemed like a promising revenge tragedy has since been derailed by Reynaldo, Voltemand, and Polonius's predilection for a tale of bawdry
between Hamlet and Ophelia.
10) At the same time, it will be argued (convincingly, we hope) that the strategies chosen to communicate bawdry
in these examples differ sharply according to the type of interlocutors and, strictly speaking, their gender.
In addition to Kimmel's approach, for Freud, the tendency of bawdry
jokes is to ally the speaker as the first person and the listener as the third person, through the medium of a woman as the second person.
17) This was a common feature of Poel's edits and as Claris Glick notes, such prudishness extended also to his Shakespearean productions: "Little of Shakespeare's bawdry
escapes his pencil" (17).
1990), Shakespeare's Bawdry
, London and New York: Routledge.
16) Thus do the grunting monosyllables of "Gus Krutzsch" take on the allusive power of Neronian literature and cryptic bawdry
21) Like the theaters, which Gosson and others called "markets for bawdry
," shopping is a source of anxious pleasure.
But the discussions of the head covering and masturbation end in hilarious bawdry
, similar to the condom business in the men's rest room on the way to Washington.
Indeed, even before he took up the Burns Fellowship, Baxter had decided that bawdry
was the weapon to wield against Otago's emasculating academics.
I hope Shoolbraid's remark, cit is a great pity that Buchan chose to swell out his thin volume with erotica and near-erotica of a blatantly English cast, when he might well have made a desirable anthology of native bawdry
- which was at that time all around him' (p.