Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The beltway surrounding Washington, DC.
2. The political establishment of Washington, DC, including federal officeholders, lobbyists, consultants, and media commentators.
A high-speed highway that encircles or skirts an urban area. Also called belt highway.
1. (Civil Engineering) the usual US name for a ring road
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (usually capital)
a. the people and institutions located in the area bounded by the Washington Beltway, taken to be politically and socially out of touch with the rest of America and much given to political intrigue
b. (as modifier): Beltway Cassandras.
1. a highway around the perimeter of an urban area.
2. the Beltway, the Washington, D.C., area.
đường vành đai
n (US) → Umgehungsstraße f