hickey(redirected from bending tool)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. hick·eys Informal
1. A device or contrivance; a gadget.
a. A reddish mark on the skin caused by amorous kissing, biting, or sucking.
b. A pimple.
3. A pipe-bending apparatus.
4. A threaded electrical fitting used to connect a fixture to an outlet box.
1. informal US and Canadian an object or gadget: used as a name when the correct name is forgotten, etc; doodah
2. informal US and Canadian a mark on the skin, esp a lovebite
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing a spot on a printed sheet caused by an imperfection or a speck on the printing plate
[C20: of unknown origin]
or hick•ie(ˈhɪk i)
n., pl. -eys or -ies.
a. a pimple.
b. a reddish mark left on the skin by a passionate kiss.
2. any device or gadget whose name is forgotten or not known.
3. a fitting used to mount a lighting fixture in an outlet box or on a pipe or stud.
4. a tool used to bend tubes and pipes.
[1905–10, Amer.; of obscure orig.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hickey - a small inflamed elevation of the skin; a pustule or papule; common symptom in acne|
acne - an inflammatory disease involving the sebaceous glands of the skin; characterized by papules or pustules or comedones
papule - a small inflamed elevation of skin that is nonsuppurative (as in chicken pox)
pustule - a small inflamed elevation of skin containing pus; a blister filled with pus
|2.||hickey - a temporary red mark on a person's skin resulting from kissing or sucking by their lover|
erythema - abnormal redness of the skin resulting from dilation of blood vessels (as in sunburn or inflammation)