Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Characterized by or consisting of two parts or components; twofold.
a. Of or relating to a system of numeration having 2 as its base.
b. Of or relating to a system of encoding data using only 0's and 1's.
3. Chemistry Consisting of or containing only two kinds of atoms.
4. Of or employing two comparatively nontoxic chemicals that combine to produce a deadly poison: binary weapons; a binary nerve agent.
5. Music Having two sections or subjects.
n. pl. bi·na·ries
1. A number system having 2 as its base.
2. A file that contains the executable version of a computer program.
3. A binary star.
[Middle English binarie, from Late Latin bīnārius, from Latin bīnī, two by two; see dwo- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. composed of, relating to, or involving two; dual
2. (Mathematics) maths computing of, relating to, or expressed in binary notation or binary code
3. (Chemistry) (of a compound or molecule) containing atoms of two different elements
4. (Metallurgy) metallurgy (of an alloy) consisting of two components or phases
5. (Education) (of an educational system) consisting of two parallel forms of education such as the grammar school and the secondary modern in Britain
6. (Mathematics) maths logic (of a relation, expression, or operation) applying to two elements of its domain; having two argument places; dyadic
n, pl -ries
7. something composed of two parts or things
8. (Astronomy) astronomy See binary star
9. (Military) short for binary weapon
[C16: from Late Latin bīnārius; see bin-]
bi•na•ry(ˈbaɪ nə ri, -nɛr i)
adj., n., pl. -ries. adj.
1. consisting of, indicating, or involving two.
a. of or pertaining to a system of numerical notation to the base 2, in which each place of a number, expressed as 0 or 1, corresponds to a power of 2.
b. of or pertaining to the digits or numbers used in binary notation.
c. of or pertaining to a binary system.
3. noting a chemical compound containing only two elements or groups, as sodium chloride or methyl bromide.
4. of, pertaining to, or involving a relationship between two alternatives existing in opposition to each other.n.
5. a whole composed of two.
6. binary star.
7. Also called bi′nary num′ber. a number expressed in the binary system of notation.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Late Latin bīnārius]
1. Having two parts.
2. Mathematics Based on the number 2 or the binary number system.
Astronomy A binary star.
A numeration system based on digits 0 and 1.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||binary - a system of two stars that revolve around each other under their mutual gravitation|
star - (astronomy) a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior
|2.||binary - a pre-compiled, pre-linked program that is ready to run under a given operating system; a binary for one operating system will not run on a different operating system; "the same source code can be compiled to produce different binaries for different operating systems"|
|Adj.||1.||binary - of or pertaining to a number system have 2 as its base; "a binary digit"|
|2.||binary - consisting of two (units or components or elements or terms); "a binary star is a system in which two stars revolve around each other"; "a binary compound"; "the binary number system has two as its base"|
multiple - having or involving or consisting of more than one part or entity or individual; "multiple birth"; "multiple ownership"; "made multiple copies of the speech"; "his multiple achievements in public life"; "her multiple personalities"; "a pineapple is a multiple fruit"
binárnídvojkovýdvojnýspustitelný souborbinární soustava
binārā skaitīšanas sistēmabinārs
n (Comput) → Binärkode m
n → Zellteilung f
n (Astron) → Doppelstern m
binary star system
n (Astron) → Doppelsternsystem nt
binary(ˈbainəri) : the binary system
the system of writing and calculating with numbers which uses only two digits (0 and 1) and has 2 as a base (101 = 1 four, 0 twos, 1 unit = 5). binêre ثُنائي، مُزْدَوِج двоичен binário dvojkový, binární binär binær δυαδικόςbinario kahendsüsteem باینری؛ دودویی binaarijärjestelmä binaire בִּינָארִי दोहरा binaran a kettes számrendszer binari, biner tvenndarkerfi binario 二進法 이진법 dvinaris binārs; binārā skaitīšanas sistēma perduaan tweetalligbinær; totallsystemet system dwójkowy د حسابولو يو سيستم binário binar двоичная система счисления dvojkový (systém) binaren binarni binär, binära talsystemet ระบบฐานสอง ikili sistem 二進位記數法 бінарний ثنائی nhị phân 二进制，二进位的