Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The net energy needed to decompose a molecule, atom, or nucleus into its components.
2. The net energy needed to remove an atomic electron to an infinitely remote position from its orbit.
1. (General Physics) the energy that must be supplied to a stable nucleus before it can undergo fission. It is equal to the mass defect
2. (General Physics) the energy required to remove a particle from a system, esp an electron from an atom
1. the energy required to decompose a molecule, atom, or nucleus into its constituent particles.
2. the energy required to separate a single particle or group of particles from a molecule, atom, or nucleus.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||binding energy - the energy required to separate particles from a molecule or atom or nucleus; equals the mass defect|