birch(redirected from birches)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various deciduous trees or shrubs of the genus Betula, native to the Northern Hemisphere and having unisexual flowers in catkins, alternate, simple, toothed leaves, and bark that often peels in thin papery layers.
b. The hard, close-grained wood of any of these trees, used especially in furniture, interior finishes, and plywood.
2. A rod from a birch, used to administer a whipping.
tr.v. birched, birch·ing, birch·es
To whip with or as if with a birch.
1. (Plants) any betulaceous tree or shrub of the genus Betula, having thin peeling bark. See also silver birch
2. (Plants) the hard close-grained wood of any of these trees
3. the birch a bundle of birch twigs or a birch rod used, esp formerly, for flogging offenders
4. (Plants) of, relating to, or belonging to the birch
5. (Plants) consisting or made of birch
(tr) to flog with a birch
[Old English bierce; related to Old High German birihha, Sanskrit bhūrja]
1. any tree or shrub of the genus Betula, comprising species with a smooth, laminated outer bark and close-grained wood.
2. the wood itself.
3. a birch rod, or a bundle of birch twigs, used for whipping.adj.
4. Also, birch′en. of or made of birch.v.t.
5. to beat with or as if with a birch.
[before 900; Middle English birche, Old English birce]
Past participle: birched
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||birch - hard close-grained wood of any of various birch trees; used especially in furniture and interior finishes and plywood|
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||birch - any betulaceous tree or shrub of the genus Betula having a thin peeling bark|
birch - hard close-grained wood of any of various birch trees; used especially in furniture and interior finishes and plywood
Betula alleghaniensis, Betula leutea, yellow birch - tree of eastern North America with thin lustrous yellow or grey bark
American white birch, Betula cordifolia, Betula papyrifera, canoe birch, paper birch, paperbark birch - small American birch with peeling white bark often worked into e.g. baskets or toy canoes
American gray birch, American grey birch, Betula populifolia, gray birch, grey birch - medium-sized birch of eastern North America having white or pale grey bark and valueless wood; occurs often as a second-growth forest tree
Betula pendula, common birch, European white birch, silver birch - European birch with silvery white peeling bark and markedly drooping branches
Betula pubescens, downy birch, white birch - European birch with dull white to pale brown bark and somewhat drooping hairy branches
Betula nigra, red birch, river birch, black birch - birch of swamps and river bottoms throughout the eastern United States having reddish-brown bark
Betula lenta, black birch, cherry birch, sweet birch - common birch of the eastern United States having spicy brown bark yielding a volatile oil and hard dark wood used for furniture
Betula fontinalis, mountain birch, swamp birch, water birch, Western birch, Western paper birch - birch of western United States resembling the paper birch but having brownish bark
American dwarf birch, Betula glandulosa, Newfoundland dwarf birch - small shrub of colder parts of North America and Greenland
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
|3.||birch - a switch consisting of a twig or a bundle of twigs from a birch tree; used to hit people as punishment; "my father never spared the birch"|
switch - a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
|Verb||1.||birch - whip with a birch twig|
|Adj.||1.||birch - consisting of or made of wood of the birch tree|
woody - made of or containing or resembling wood; "woody plants"; "perennial herbs with woody stems"; "a woody taste"
خَشَبُ شَجَر البَتولاشَجَر البتولاشَجَرَةُ البَتُولا
huş ağacıhuş ağacı kerestesihuş
1. (also birch tree) a kind of small tree with pointed leaves valued for its wood. That tree is a birch; (also adjective) birch leaves. berk شَجَر البتولا бреза bétula bříza; březový die Birke; Birken... birk σημύδαabedul kask درخت غان koivu bouleauלבנה सनोबर का पेड़ breza nyír(fa) nama pohon birkitré, björk betulla かばの木 자작나무 beržas bērzs; bērza- pokok birch berkbjørkbrzoza bétula (de) mesteacăn береза; березовыи breza; brezový breza; brezov breza björk ต้นเบิร์ช huş ağacı 樺樹 береза; березовий نو کیلے پتوں والا ایک درخت cây bulô 桦树
2. its wood. a desk made of birch; (also adjective) a birch desk. berkehout خَشَبُ شَجَر البَتولا дървен материал от бреза bétula bříza; březový das Birkenholz birketræ; birketræs- ξύλο σημύδας abedul kasepuit چوب غان koivupuu bouleau עֵץ לִבְנָה सनोबर के पेड़ की लकड़ी brezovina nyírfa kayu birch birkiviður betulla かば材 자작나무 재목 beržo mediena; beržinis bērzs; bērza- kayu birch berkenhout bjørk brzezina د غان لرګۍ bétula (lemn de) mesteacăn береза; березовыи breza; brezový brezovina; brezov brezovina björk ไม้ของต้นเบิร์ช huş ağacı kerestesi 樺木 береза اس درخت کی لکڑی gỗ bulô 桦木