blackleg(redirected from blacklegged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. An infectious, usually fatal bacterial disease of cattle and sometimes of sheep, goats, and swine, caused by Clostridium chauvoei and characterized by gas-containing swellings in the musculature.
2. A bacterial or fungal disease of certain plants, such as the cabbage and potato, that causes the stems to turn black at the soil line.
3. One who cheats at cards; a cardsharp.
4. Chiefly British A worker who is opposed to trade unions; a scab.
a. a person who acts against the interests of a trade union, as by continuing to work during a strike or taking over a striker's job
b. (as modifier): blackleg labour.
2. (Veterinary Science) Also called: black quarter an acute infectious disease of cattle, sheep, and pigs, characterized by gas-filled swellings, esp on the legs, caused by Clostridium bacteria
3. (Plant Pathology) plant pathol
a. a fungal disease of cabbages and related plants caused by Phoma lingam, characterized by blackening and decay of the lower stems
b. a similar disease of potatoes, caused by bacteria
4. (Gambling, except Cards) a person who cheats in gambling, esp at cards or in racing
vb, -legs, -legging or -legged
Brit to act against the interests of a trade union, esp by refusing to join a strike
1. an infectious, often fatal disease of cattle and sheep caused by the soil bacterium Clostridium chauvoei and characterized by darkened and swollen upper legs.
a. a disease of cabbage and other cruciferous plants, characterized by dry, black lesions on the base of the stem, caused by a fungus, Phoma lingam.
b. a disease of potatoes, characterized by wet, black lesions on the base of the stem, caused by a bacterium, Erwinia atroseptica.
3. a swindler.
4. Chiefly Brit. a strikebreaker; scab.
Past participle: blacklegged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blackleg - someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
|Verb||1.||blackleg - take the place of work of someone on strike|