Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. The flat cutting part of a sharpened weapon or tool.
a. A sword.
b. A swordsman.
3. Archaeology A slender, sharp-edged flake that is at least twice as long as it is wide.
4. A dashing youth.
a. A flat thin part or section, especially one that makes contact to perform a desired action: the blade of an oar; the blade of a hockey stick.
b. An arm of a rotating mechanism: the blade of a propeller; the blade of a food processor.
c. A long, thin, often curved piece, as of metal or rubber, used for plowing, clearing, or wiping.
6. The metal runner of an ice skate.
7. A wide flat bone or bony part.
8. The flat upper surface of the tongue just behind the tip.
a. The expanded part of a leaf or petal.
b. The leaf of grasses or similar plants.
intr.v. blad·ed, blad·ing, blades
To skate on in-line skates.
(Individual Sports, other than specified) the act or an instance of skating with in-line skates
the act of skating on in-line skates.
[1985–90; (Roller)blad(e) + -ing]