Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to blende: blender
1. Any of various shiny minerals composed chiefly of metallic sulfides.
2. See sphalerite.
1. (Minerals) another name for sphalerite
2. (Minerals) any of several sulphide ores, such as antimony sulphide
[C17: German Blende, from blenden to deceive, blind; so called because it is easily mistaken for galena]
1. sphalerite; zinc sulfide.
2. any of certain other sulfides.
[1675–85; < German; compare Middle High German blenden to make blind, deceive; so called because it looks deceptively like galena]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blende - an ore that is the chief source of zinc; consists largely of zinc sulfide in crystalline form|
atomic number 49, indium, In - a rare soft silvery metallic element; occurs in small quantities in sphalerite
atomic number 81, thallium, Tl - a soft grey malleable metallic element that resembles tin but discolors on exposure to air; it is highly toxic and is used in rodent and insect poisons; occurs in zinc blende and some iron ores
mineral - solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition