Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various marine polychaete worms of the genus Glycera, having bright red bodies and often used for bait.
2. Any of various freshwater larvae of certain midges that are red as a result of the high hemoglobin content of their blood.
3. Any of various parasitic worms of the genus Strongylus that infect the intestinal systems of horses. Also called redworm.
1. (Animals) the red wormlike aquatic larva of the midge, Chironomus plumosus, which lives at the bottom of stagnant pools and ditches
2. (Animals) a freshwater oligochaete tubifex worm
3. (Fishing) any of several small reddish worms used as angling bait
1. any of several small red annelid worms, esp. various earthworms.
2. the freshwater larva of midges.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bloodworm - a segmented marine worm with bright red body; often used for bait|
polychaete, polychaete worm, polychete, polychete worm - chiefly marine annelids possessing both sexes and having paired appendages (parapodia) bearing bristles