Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bluegrass: Bluegrass music
Blue·grassalso Blue·grass Country or Blue·grass Region (blo͞o′grăs′)
A region of central Kentucky noted for its lushly growing bluegrass and the breeding of thoroughbred horses.
1. Any of various grasses of the genus Poa, having bluish spikelets, including species such as Kentucky bluegrass that are used for pastures and lawns and others that are considered weeds.
2. Music A type of country music that originated in the southern United States, typically played on acoustic stringed instruments and characterized by rapid tempos and jazzlike improvisation.
1. (Plants) any of several North American bluish-green grasses of the genus Poa, esp P. pratensis (Kentucky bluegrass), grown for forage
2. (Pop Music) a type of folk music originating in Kentucky, characterized by a simple harmonized accompaniment
1. any grass of the genus Poa, as the Kentucky bluegrass, P. pratensis, having dense tufts of bluish green blades and creeping rhizomes.
2. country music, polyphonic in character, played on unamplified stringed instruments, esp. the solo banjo.
3. the Bluegrass, Bluegrass Region.
Country music evolving from the Scots-Irish traditional music of the southern Appalachian Mountains. Bluegrass uses traditional mountain dance-group instrumentation, usually featuring unamplified mandolin, banjo, and fiddle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bluegrass - any of various grasses of the genus Poa|
grass - narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals; cut and dried as hay
|2.||Bluegrass - an area in central Kentucky noted for it bluegrass and thoroughbred horses|
|3.||bluegrass - a type of country music played at a rapid tempo on banjos and guitars|