Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
v. blurred, blur·ring, blurs
1. To make indistinct and hazy in outline or appearance; obscure: The haze blurred the skyline.
2. To make dim, unclear, or cloudy: The smoke blurred my vision.
3. To cause to be intellectually indistinguishable: New thinking has blurred the divisions between disciplines.
1. To become visually indistinct: The faces blurred in the crowd.
2. To be unclear or clouded: His vision blurred as the drug took effect.
3. To become intellectually indistinguishable: TV commercials and shows seem to blur into one another.
Something that is hazy and indistinct to the sight or mind.
[Probably akin to Middle English bleren, to blear.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blurriness - the quality of being indistinct and without sharp outlines|
opaqueness, opacity - the quality of being opaque to a degree; the degree to which something reduces the passage of light
vagueness - indistinctness of shape or character; "the scene had the swirling vagueness of a painting by Turner"