Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An explosive weapon detonated by impact, proximity to an object, a timing mechanism, or other means.
b. An atomic or nuclear bomb. Used with the.
2. Any of various weapons detonated to release destructive material, such as smoke or gas.
a. A container capable of withstanding high internal pressure.
b. A vessel for storing compressed gas.
c. A portable, manually operated container that ejects a spray, foam, or gas under pressure.
4. Football A long forward pass.
5. Geology A lump of lava that has been violently ejected from a volcano and has solidified while in the air.
6. Slang A dismal failure; a fiasco.
7. Slang An old car.
8. Slang One that is excellent or superior. Used with the.
9. Chiefly British Slang
a. A large amount of money.
b. A great success.
v. bombed, bomb·ing, bombs
To attack, damage, or destroy with or as if with bombs.
1. To drop a bomb or bombs.
2. Slang To fail miserably: The play bombed.
3. Slang To paint a graffito.
[French bombe, from Italian bomba, probably from Latin bombus, a booming sound, from Greek bombos, of imitative origin.]
1. a concerted and persistent use of bombs against a target
2. the act of causing a single bomb to explode, esp by a terrorist
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bombing - an attack by dropping bombs |
attack, onrush, onset, onslaught - (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons); "the attack began at dawn"
bombing run - that part of the flight that begins with the approach to the target; includes target acquisition and ends with the release of the bombs
|2.||bombing - the use of bombs for sabotage; a tactic frequently used by terrorists|
act of terrorism, terrorism, terrorist act - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
suicide bombing - a terrorist bombing carried out by someone who does not hope to survive it
sabotage - a deliberate act of destruction or disruption in which equipment is damaged
việc ném bom