bonkers


Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.

bon·kers

 (bŏng′kərz)
adj. Informal
Crazy: "When word spread that free gas was to be found, the populace, as expected, went bonkers" (Washington Post).

[Origin unknown.]

bonkers

(ˈbɒŋkəz)
adj
slang chiefly Brit mad; crazy
[C20 (originally in the sense: slightly drunk, tipsy): of unknown origin]

bon•kers

(ˈbɒŋ kərz)

adj. Slang.
mentally unbalanced.
[1945–50]
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Adj.1.bonkers - informal or slang terms for mentally irregularbonkers - informal or slang terms for mentally irregular; "it used to drive my husband balmy"
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"

bonkers

adjective
Informal. Afflicted with or exhibiting irrationality and mental unsoundness:
Informal: cracked, daffy, gaga, loony.
Chiefly British: crackers.
Idioms: around the bend, crazy as a loon, mad as a hatter, not all there, nutty as a fruitcake, off one's head, off one's rocker, of unsound mind, out of one's mind, sick in the head, stark raving mad.
Translations
hullu

bonkers

[ˈbɒŋkəz] ADJ (esp Brit) to be bonkersestar chalado, estar como una cabra
to go bonkersperder la chaveta

bonkers

[ˈbɒŋkərz] adj (British)cinglé(e), dingue

bonkers

adj (esp Brit inf) → meschugge (inf); to be bonkersspinnen (inf); to go bonkersüberschnappen (inf); he’s bonkers about herer ist völlig verrückt nach ihr (inf)

bonkers

[ˈbɒŋkəz] adj (Brit) (fam) to be bonkersessere suonato/a
to go bonkers → diventare matto/a
References in periodicals archive ?
MERCEDES has launched a new generation of its 7-seat GL-Class SUV with one sensible and one bonkers model in the line-up.
MR FIXIT'S TOP TIPS HOMES Middlesbro, Notts Co, Bradford, Partick Thistle, Peterhead Perm any 4 and all 5 (6 bets) AWAYS Everton, Gillingham, Dundee Utd, Stenny Perm any 3 and all 4 (5 bets) SUPER SINGLE Gillingham (7-4, various) BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE Chelsea, Northampton Hibs, Ayr, Stranraer BONKERS BET Chelsea 2, Newcastle 2 (12-1, various) TOP TREBLE Partick Thistle Peterhead, Notts Co Enhanced to 9-2 at www.
So I approached the first episode of Bonkers, the new six-part comedy drama made by Lime Pictures (formerly Mersey TV), with some trepidation.
Her new series, Bonkers, which starts on ITV this week, was filmed by Lime Pictures (formerly Mersey TV) at the company's Childwall studios and on location around Merseyside.
IT'S bad enough that the daily commute in Los Angeles is enough to drive a sane person bonkers.
Still, by any standards, this new Saint is bonkers from start to finish.
When the 19-year-old was stopped at the door of the city's Bonkers bar, he produced the document as proof of age.
MR FIXIT'S TOP TIPS HOMES Arsenal, Hull, MK Dons Rotherham, Stenny Perm any 4 and all 5 (6 bets) AWAYS Middlesboro, Swindon QoS, Peterhead Perm any 3 and all 4 (5 bets) SUPER SINGLE Hull (13-10, Bsq) TOP TREBLE Arsenal MK Dons Rotherham BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE Derby v Sheff Wed Crawley v Scunthorpe Dunfermline v Partick BONKERS BET Ross Co, Celtic 1 (6-1) HOMES Arsenal, Hull, MK Dons Rotherham, Stenny Perm any 4 and all 5 (6 bets) AWAYS Middlesboro, Swindon QoS, Peterhead Perm any 3 and all 4 (5 bets) SUPER SINGLE Hull (13-10, Bsq) TOP TREBLE Arsenal MK Dons Rotherham BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE Derby v Sheff Wed Crawley v Scunthorpe Dunfermline v Partick BONKERS BET Ross Co, Celtic 1 (6-1)
He said: ``Every one of us can think of a speed limit that appears to be completely barmy, utterly bonkers.
com, gives USC a 70 percent chance of going to the national-title game and LSU a 30 percent chance, based on both schools winning their last game and the computers not going bonkers.
HOMES Arbroath Ayr United Norwich Spurs Wigan Malaga Any 5 and all 6 (7 bets) AWAYS Arsenal, Rangers Man United, Osasuna Any 3 and all 4 (5 bets) TOP TREBLE Spurs, Arsenal Malaga SUPER SINGLE Norwich (5-4, Ladbrokes) DRAWS MK Dons v Huddersfield Aberdeen v St Mirren Motherwell v Dundee U Genoa v Palermo Any 3 and all 4 (5 bets) BOTH TEAMS SCORE Arbroath v Dumbarton Queen's Park v Stranraer Dunfermline v Killie MK Dons v Huddersfield Real Betis v Barcelona Everton v Newcastle Any 5 and all 6 (7 bets) BONKERS BET Man City 3, QPR 0 (7-1, unibet)
Don't get me wrong, he's great at what he does, but proper bonkers - utterly bonkers.