Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bootlegger: American eagle
v. boot·legged, boot·leg·ging, boot·legs
1. To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) for sale illegally.
2. To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes.
1. To engage in the bootlegging of alcoholic liquor or another product.
2. To attach a transmitter to a dish antenna, creating an uplink via which a signal is sent to a satellite without the knowledge of the satellite's owner.
3. Football To fake a hand-off, conceal the ball on the hip, and roll out in order to pass or especially to rush around the end. Used of a quarterback.
1. A product, especially alcoholic liquor, that is illicitly produced, distributed, or sold.
2. The part of a boot above the instep.
3. Football A play in which the quarterback bootlegs.
Produced, sold, or transported illegally: bootleg gin; bootleg tapes.
[From a smuggler's practice of carrying liquor in the legs of boots.]