Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to borer: Ash Borer, Wood borer
1. A tool used for drilling.
2. An insect or insect larva, such as a corn borer, that bores chiefly into the stems and trunks of plants.
3. Any of various mollusks that bore into soft rock or wood.
bor•er(ˈbɔr ər, ˈboʊr-)
1. a person or thing that bores or pierces.
2. a tool used for boring; auger.
3. any of various insects or their larvae that bore into trees, fruit, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||borer - a drill for penetrating rock |
cross bit - a rock drill having cruciform cutting edges; used in mining
drill - a tool with a sharp point and cutting edges for making holes in hard materials (usually rotating rapidly or by repeated blows)
star drill - a steel rock drill with a star-shaped point that is used for making holes in stones or masonry; it is operated by hitting the end with a hammer while rotating it between blows
|2.||borer - any of various insects or larvae or mollusks that bore into wood|
invertebrate - any animal lacking a backbone or notochord; the term is not used as a scientific classification
n (Tech) → Bohrer m; (= insect) → Bohrkäfer m