bovine(redirected from bovine familial convulsions and ataxia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a ruminant mammal of the bovid subfamily Bovinae, such as a cow, ox, or buffalo, especially one in the genus Bos.
2. Sluggish, dull, and stolid.
An animal of the subfamily Bovinae, especially one of the genus Bos.
1. (Animals) of, relating to, or belonging to the Bovini (cattle), a bovid tribe including domestic cattle
2. (of people) dull; sluggish; stolid
(Animals) any animal belonging to the Bovini
[C19: from Late Latin bovīnus concerning oxen or cows, from Latin bōs ox, cow]
bo•vine(ˈboʊ vaɪn, -vin)
1. of or pertaining to the subfamily Bovinae, which includes cattle, buffalo, and kudus.
2. oxlike; cowlike.
3. stolid; dull.n.
4. a bovine animal.
[1810–20; < Late Latin bovīnus= Latin bov- (s. of bōs) ox]
bo•vin′i•ty (-ˈvɪn ɪ ti) n.
Relating to a cow or cattle.
An animal belonging to the genus (Bos) of ruminant mammals that includes the cow, wild ox, and yak.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bovine - any of various members of the genus Bos|
bovid - hollow-horned ruminants
Bos, genus Bos - wild and domestic cattle; in some classifications placed in the subfamily Bovinae or tribe Bovini
Bos taurus, cattle, cows, kine, oxen - domesticated bovine animals as a group regardless of sex or age; "so many head of cattle"; "wait till the cows come home"; "seven thin and ill-favored kine"- Bible; "a team of oxen"
|Adj.||1.||bovine - of or relating to or belonging to the genus Bos (cattle)|
|2.||bovine - dull and slow-moving and stolid; like an ox; "showed a bovine apathy"|
dull - lacking in liveliness or animation; "he was so dull at parties"; "a dull political campaign"; "a large dull impassive man"; "dull days with nothing to do"; "how dull and dreary the world is"; "fell back into one of her dull moods"
bovine[ˈbəʊvaɪn] adj (also) (fig) (pej) → bovino/a
n. bovino, referente al ganado.