Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The front section of a ship or boat.
2. Either of the sides of this front section: the starboard bow.
3. The oar or the person wielding the oar closest to the bow in a racing shell.
v. bowed, bow·ing, bows
1. To bend or curve downward; stoop.
2. To incline the body or head or bend the knee in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
3. To yield in defeat or out of courtesy; submit. See Synonyms at yield.
1. To bend (the head, knee, or body) to express greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
2. To convey (greeting, for example) by bending the body.
3. To escort deferentially: bowed us into the restaurant.
4. To cause to acquiesce; submit.
5. To overburden: Grief bowed them down.
An inclination of the head or body, as in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
To remove oneself; withdraw.
bow and scrape
To behave obsequiously.
1. A bent, curved, or arched object.
2. A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.
a. An archer.
b. Archers considered as a group.
a. Music A rod having horsehair drawn tightly between its two raised ends, used in playing instruments of the violin and viol families.
b. A stroke made by this rod.
5. A knot usually having two loops and two ends; a bowknot.
a. A frame for the lenses of a pair of eyeglasses.
b. The part of such a frame passing over the ear.
7. A rainbow.
8. An oxbow.
v. bowed, bow·ing, bows
1. To bend (something) into the shape of a bow.
2. Music To play (a stringed instrument) with a bow.
1. To bend into a curve or bow.
2. Music To play a stringed instrument with a bow.
(Music, other) the technique of using the bow in playing a violin, viola, cello, or related instrument
the technique of using a bow in playing a stringed musical instrument.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bowing - bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting|
reverence - an act showing respect (especially a bow or curtsy)
motion, gesture - the use of movements (especially of the hands) to communicate familiar or prearranged signals
kotow, kowtow - a former Chinese custom of touching the ground with the forehead as a sign of respect or submission
scrape, scraping - a deep bow with the foot drawn backwards (indicating excessive humility); "all that bowing and scraping did not impress him"
salaam - a deep bow; a Muslim form of salutation
|2.||bowing - managing the bow in playing a stringed instrument; "the violinist's bowing was excellent"|
playing - the act of playing a musical instrument
|Adj.||1.||bowing - showing an excessively deferential manner|
submissive - inclined or willing to submit to orders or wishes of others or showing such inclination; "submissive servants"; "a submissive reply"; "replacing troublemakers with more submissive people"