Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
a. Influenced by or undertaken out of necessity: a bread-and-butter job.
b. Reliable, especially for producing income; basic: Household appliances are the company's bread-and-butter goods.
2. Expressive of gratitude for hospitality: a bread-and-butter note.
bread′ and but′ter
a basic means of support or income; source of livelihood; sustenance.
bread-and-but•ter(ˈbrɛd nˈbʌt ər)
1. providing a livelihood or reliable income: the agency's bread-and-butter accounts.
2. of or pertaining to the basic needs of life.
3. basic or everyday; staple; routine.
4. expressing thanks for hospitality: a bread-and-butter letter.