Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A piece of armor that covers the breast.
2. Judaism A square cloth set with 12 precious stones representing the 12 tribes of Israel, worn over the breast by ancient high priests.
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a piece of armour covering the chest
2. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) the strap of a harness covering a horse's breast
3. (Judaism) Judaism an ornamental silver plate hung on the scrolls of the Torah
4. (Judaism) Old Testament a square vestment ornamented with 12 precious stones, representing the 12 tribes of Israel, worn by the high priest when praying before the holy of holies
5. (Zoology) zoology a nontechnical name for plastron
1. a piece of plate armor for protecting the front of the torso.
a. a vestment worn on the chest of the Jewish high priest, ornamented with 12 precious stones representing the 12 tribes of Israel.
b. an ornament suspended by a chain over the front of a Torah scroll.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||breastplate - armor plate that protects the chest; the front part of a cuirass|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
body armor, body armour, cataphract, coat of mail, suit of armor, suit of armour - armor that protects the wearer's whole body
plastron - a metal breastplate that was worn under a coat of mail