Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to bristled: jointed
1. A stiff hair.
2. A stiff hairlike structure: the bristles of a wire brush.
v. bris·tled, bris·tling, bris·tles
1. To stand stiffly on end like bristles: The hair on the dog's neck bristled.
2. To raise the bristles: The cat bristled at the sight of the large dog.
3. To react in an angry or offended manner: The author bristled at the suggestion of plagiarism.
4. To be covered or thick with or as if with bristles: The path bristled with thorns.
1. To cause to stand erect like bristles; stiffen.
2. To furnish or supply with bristles.
3. To make bristly; ruffle.
[Middle English bristel, probably from Old English *byrstel, from byrst, bristle.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bristled - having or covered with protective barbs or quills or spines or thorns or setae etc.; "a horse with a short bristly mane"; "bristly shrubs"; "burred fruits"; "setaceous whiskers"|
barbellate, briary, briery, setaceous, setose, burred, burry, prickly, barbed, spiny, thorny, bristly
armed - (used of plants and animals) furnished with bristles and thorns