broody(redirected from broodiness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to broodiness: pullets
adj. brood·i·er, brood·i·est
a. Meditative; contemplative.
b. Oppressive: "The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds" (Nicholas Proffitt).
2. Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
adj, broodier or broodiest
1. moody; meditative; introspective
2. (Breeds) (of poultry) wishing to sit on or hatch eggs
3. informal (of a woman) wishing to have a baby of her own
adj. brood•i•er, brood•i•est.
2. inclined to sit on eggs: a broody hen.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||broody - a domestic hen ready to brood|
|Adj.||1.||broody - physiologically ready to incubate eggs; "a broody hen"|
oviparous - egg-laying
|2.||broody - deeply or seriously thoughtful; "Byron lives on not only in his poetry, but also in his creation of the 'Byronic hero' - the persona of a brooding melancholy young man";|
thoughtful - exhibiting or characterized by careful thought; "a thoughtful paper"