Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. A block used as a building material, especially a cinder block.
2. A small wooden or plastic cube used as a building toy.
3. A basic element or part of something: Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins.
1. (Building) a block of stone or other material, larger than a brick, used in building
2. (Computer Science) a component that fits with others to form a whole: standardized software building blocks.
3. another name for (the child's toy) block
2. a basic element or component: the building blocks of proteins.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||building block - a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else; "units of nucleic acids"|
thing - a separate and self-contained entity
couple - (physics) something joined by two equal and opposite forces that act along parallel lines
part, piece - a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
unit cell - the smallest group of atoms or molecules whose repetition at regular intervals in three dimensions produces the lattices of a crystal
chemical group, radical, group - (chemistry) two or more atoms bound together as a single unit and forming part of a molecule
molecule - (physics and chemistry) the simplest structural unit of an element or compound
|2.||building block - a block of material used in construction work|
ashlar - a rectangular block of hewn stone used for building purposes
breeze block, cinder block, clinker block - a light concrete building block made with cinder aggregate; "cinder blocks are called breeze blocks in Britain"
voussoir - wedge-shaped stone building block used in constructing an arch or vault
building material - material used for constructing buildings