Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
bur 1also burr (bûr)
a. A rough prickly husk or covering surrounding the seeds or fruits of plants such as the chestnut or the burdock.
b. A plant producing such husks or coverings.
2. A persistently clinging or nettlesome person or thing.
3. A rough protuberance, especially a burl on a tree.
4. Any of various rotary cutting tools designed to be attached to a drill.
[Middle English burre, of Scandinavian origin.]
n. & v.
Variant of burr2.
Variant of burr3.
1. (Botany) a seed vessel or flower head, as of burdock, having hooks or prickles
2. (Botany) any plant that produces burs
3. a person or thing that clings like a bur
4. (Dentistry) a small surgical or dental drill
vb, burs, burring or burredAlso (for senses 1–4): burr
(tr) to remove burs from
[C14: probably of Scandinavian origin; compare Danish burre bur, Swedish kardborre burdock]
Myanmar (international car registration)
n., v. burred, bur•ring. n.
1. a rough prickly case around the seeds of certain plants, as the chestnut or burdock.
2. any bur-bearing plant.
3. something that adheres like a bur.
5. a rotary cutting tool for removing carious material from teeth and preparing cavities for filling.
6. a surgical cutting tool resembling this, used for the excavation of bone.v.t.
7. to extract or remove burs from.
[1300–50; Middle English burre]
Past participle: burred
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bur - seed vessel having hooks or prickles|
|2.||bur - small bit used in dentistry or surgery|
bit - the cutting part of a drill; usually pointed and threaded and is replaceable in a brace or bitstock or drill press; "he looked around for the right size bit"
|Verb||1.||bur - remove the burrs from|
n (Bot, fig inf) → Klette f; chestnut bur → Kastanienschale f