Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An official of a bureaucracy.
2. An official who is rigidly devoted to the details of administrative procedure.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an official in a bureaucracy
2. an official who adheres to bureaucracy, esp rigidly
1. an official of a bureaucracy.
2. an official who works by fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgment.
[1835–45; < French bureaucrate. See -crat]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bureaucrat - an official of a bureaucracy |
bean counter - an accountant or bureaucrat who is believed to place undue emphasis on the control of expenditures
paper-pusher - a clerk or bureaucrat who does paperwork
procurator - (ancient Rome) someone employed by the Roman Emperor to manage finance and taxes
collector of internal revenue, exciseman, internal revenue agent, tax collector, taxman - someone who collects taxes for the government
taxer - a bureaucrat who levies taxes