Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.


1. A knot, lump, or slub in yarn or cloth.
a. A large rounded outgrowth on the trunk or branch of a tree.
b. The wood cut from such an outgrowth, often used decoratively as a veneer.
tr.v. burled, burl·ing, burls
To dress or finish (cloth) by removing knots, lumps, slubs, or loose threads.

[Middle English burle, from Old French bourle, tuft of wool, diminutive of bourre, coarse wool, from Late Latin burra, shaggy garment.]

burl′er n.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Elizabeth, a retired burler and mender, said: "I still remember that first meeting.
Rulli worked as a cutter at Bates Shoe Company in Webster and then as a burler at Packard Mills in Dudley before retiring.
As a by-product of the demise/absorption of Six Gun, underground burler John Ponts now finds himself the newest am for Black Label.