butterfly valve(redirected from butterfly valves)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
top: open valve
bottom: closed valve
1. A disk turning on a diametrical axis inside a pipe, used as a throttle valve or damper.
2. A valve composed of two semicircular plates hinged on a common spindle, used to permit flow in one direction only.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a disc that acts as a valve by turning about a diameter, esp one used as the throttle valve in a carburettor
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a non-return valve consisting of two semicircular plates hinged about a common central spindle
1. a clack valve having two flaps with a common hinge.
2. a valve, as the throttle valve in a carburetor, that swings about a central axis across its face.