Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. bought (bôt), buy·ing, buys
1. To acquire in exchange for money or its equivalent; purchase. See Note at boughten.
2. To be capable of purchasing: "Certainly there are lots of things in life that money won't buy" (Ogden Nash).
3. To acquire by sacrifice, exchange, or trade: wanted to buy love with gifts.
4. To bribe: tried to buy a judge.
5. Informal To accept the truth or feasibility of: The officer didn't buy my lame excuse for speeding.
To purchase something; act as a purchaser.
1. Something bought or for sale; a purchase.
2. An act of purchasing: a drug buy.
3. Something that is underpriced; a bargain.
To pay an upfront fee to reduce (an interest rate) over part or all of the term of a loan.
1. To acquire a stake or interest in: bought into a risky real estate venture.
2. Informal To believe in, especially wholeheartedly or uncritically: couldn't buy into that brand of conservatism.
To bribe (an official, for example) in order to secure improper cooperation or gain exemption from a regulation or legal consequence.
To purchase the entire stock, business rights, or interests of.
To purchase all that is available of.
buy it Slang
To be killed.
buy the farm Slang
To die, especially suddenly or violently.
To increase the time available for a specific purpose: "A moderate recovery thus buys time for Congress and the Administration to whittle the deficit" (G. David Wallace).
[Middle English bien, beyen, from Old English bycgan, byg-; akin to Gothic bugjan, from Germanic *bugjanan, of unknown origin.]
a. the action or an instance of purchasing something
b. (as modifier): buying patterns.
2. (Economics) (as modifier): buying patterns.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buying - the act of buying; "buying and selling fill their days"; "shrewd purchasing requires considerable knowledge"|
purchase - the acquisition of something for payment; "they closed the purchase with a handshake"
shopping - searching for or buying goods or services; "went shopping for a reliable plumber"; "does her shopping at the mall rather than down town"