Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Great prestige or appeal: a designer label with cachet.
b. A quality of prestige or appeal: "Federal courts have a certain cachet which state courts lack" (Christian Science Monitor).
c. A mark, as of distinction, individuality, or authenticity: "In our times the thick wad of credit cards is a cachet of respectability" (John D. MacDonald).
2. A seal on a document, such as a letter.
a. A commemorative design stamped on an envelope to mark a postal or philatelic event.
b. A motto forming part of a postal cancellation.
4. A kind of wafer capsule formerly used by pharmacists for presenting an unpleasant-tasting drug.
[French cachet, seal, stamp of authenticity, distinctive character, from Middle French, seal : cacher, to press, squeeze (from Occitan cachar, from Old Provençal, from Latin coāctāre, to constrain; see cache) + -et, diminutive suffix (from Old French; see -et). Sense 4, from French, from the resemblance of the wafer to a wax seal on a document.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an official seal on a document, letter, etc
2. a distinguishing mark; stamp
3. prestige; distinction
4. (Philately) philately
a. a mark stamped by hand on mail for commemorative purposes
5. (Medicine) a hollow wafer, formerly used for enclosing an unpleasant-tasting medicine
[C17: from Old French, from cacher to hide]
ca•chet(kæˈʃeɪ, ˈkæʃ eɪ)
1. an official seal, as on a letter or document.
2. an official sign of approval.
3. superior status; prestige: a job with a certain cachet.
4. a distinguishing mark or feature.
5. a hollow wafer for enclosing an ill-tasting medicine.
6. a design or other device drawn or printed on an envelope for philatelic purposes, as for a first-day cover.
[1630–40; < French: literally, something compressed to a small size]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cachet - an indication of approved or superior status|
|2.||cachet - a warrant formerly issued by a French king who could warrant imprisonment or death in a signed letter under his seal|
warrant - a writ from a court commanding police to perform specified acts
|3.||cachet - a seal on a letter|