camisole(redirected from camisoles)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A woman's sleeveless undergarment or shirt with narrow and often adjustable straps.
[French (from Italian camiciola, diminutive of camicia, shirt) or from Old Provençal camisolla, diminutive of camisa, shirt, both from Late Latin camisia, camīsa; see chemise.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's underbodice with shoulder straps, originally designed as a cover for a corset
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's dressing jacket or short negligée
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (modifier) resembling a camisole (the underbodice), as in fitting snugly around the bust and having a straight neckline: a camisole slip; a camisole top.
[C19: from French, from Provençal camisola, from camisa shirt, from Late Latin camīsia]
1. a woman's waist-length garment with shoulder straps, worn underneath a sheer bodice to conceal the underwear.
2. a woman's negligee jacket.
[1810–20; < French < Occitan]
A bodice with shoulder straps, cut straight at the top and worn as an undergarment.