Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several trees or shrubs yielding a usually resinous wood.
2. The wood of such a plant, burned for light or fuel.
3. The ocotillo.
1. (Forestry) the resinous wood of any of several trees, used for torches and candle substitutes
2. (Plants) any tree or shrub, such as ocotillo, that produces this wood
1. any resinous wood used for torches or as a substitute for candles.
2. any of various trees or shrubs yielding such wood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||candlewood - any of several resinous trees or shrubs often burned for light|
coachwhip, Fouquieria splendens, Jacob's staff, ocotillo, vine cactus - desert shrub of southwestern United States and Mexico having slender naked spiny branches that after the rainy season put forth foliage and clusters of red flowers
boojum tree, cirio, Fouquieria columnaris, Idria columnaris - candlewood of Mexico and southwestern California having tall columnar stems and bearing honey-scented creamy yellow flowers