Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to caner: Cancer
a. A slender, strong but often flexible stem, as of certain bamboos, reeds, or rattans.
b. A plant having such a stem.
c. Such stems or strips of such stems used for wickerwork or baskets.
2. A bamboo (Arundinaria gigantea) native to the southeast United States, having long stiff stems and often forming canebrakes.
3. The stem of a raspberry, blackberry, certain roses, or similar plants.
5. A stick used as an aid in walking or carried as an accessory.
6. A rod used for flogging.
7. A glass cylinder made of smaller, variously colored glass rods that have been fused together, used in glassmaking.
tr.v. caned, can·ing, canes
1. To make, supply, or repair with flexible woody material.
2. To hit or beat with a rod.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin canna, small reed, from Greek kanna, of Semitic origin; see qnw in Semitic roots.]
a person who works with cane.