cannibalize(redirected from cannibalizes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
v. can·ni·bal·ized, can·ni·bal·iz·ing, can·ni·bal·iz·es
1. To remove serviceable parts from (damaged airplanes, for example) for use in the repair of other equipment of the same kind.
2. To deprive of vital elements or resources, such as personnel, equipment, or funding, for use elsewhere.
3. To draw on as a major source: "cannibalizes the lives of his wife and friends for his second-rate novels" (Washington Post).
4. To practice cannibalism on.
To practice cannibalism.
can′ni·bal·i·za′tion (-bə-lĭ-zā′shən) n.
(General Engineering) (tr) to use (serviceable parts from one machine or vehicle) to repair another, esp as an alternative to using new parts
ˌcannibaliˈzation, ˌcannibaliˈsation n
can•ni•bal•ize(ˈkæn ə bəˌlaɪz)
v. -ized, -iz•ing. v.t.
1. to subject to cannibalism.
2. to remove parts from (a machine, vehicle, etc.) to repair or make a similar unit.
3. to remove employees from (a business) in order to build a similar one.
4. to use material from (other writers or works) in a text.
5. to cut into; cause to become diminished: new products cannibalizing sales from existing lines.v.i.
6. to practice cannibalism.
To remove serviceable parts from one item of equipment in order to install them on another item of equipment.
Past participle: cannibalized
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||cannibalize - eat human flesh|
|2.||cannibalize - use parts of something to repair something else|
apply, employ, use, utilise, utilize - put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
vt old car etc → ausschlachten