Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to cannonade: Cannonade of Valmy
v. can·non·ad·ed, can·non·ad·ing, can·non·ades
To assault with heavy artillery fire.
To deliver heavy artillery fire.
1. An extended, usually heavy discharge of artillery.
2. A harsh verbal or physical attack.
[From French canonade, discharge of artillery, from Italian cannonata, from cannone, cannon, from Old Italian; see cannon.]
(Military) an intense and continuous artillery bombardment
(Military) to attack (a target) with cannon
n., v. -ad•ed, -ad•ing. n.
1. a continued discharge of cannon, esp. during an attack.
2. an attack, as of invective or censure; barrage.v.t.
3. to attack continuously with or as if with cannon.v.i.
4. to discharge like continuous cannon fire.
Past participle: cannonaded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cannonade - intense and continuous artillery fire|
|Verb||1.||cannonade - attack with cannons or artillery|