Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A heavy, coarse, closely woven fabric of cotton, hemp, or flax, traditionally used for tents and sails.
a. A piece of such fabric on which a painting, especially an oil painting, is executed.
b. A painting executed on such fabric.
3. A fabric of coarse open weave, used as a foundation for needlework.
4. The background against which events unfold, as in a historical narrative: a grim portrait of despair against the bright canvas of the postwar economy.
5. Nautical A sail or set of sails.
a. A tent or group of tents.
b. A circus tent.
7. Sports The floor of a ring in which boxing or wrestling takes place.
1. Nautical With sails spread.
2. In a tent or tents.
[Middle English canevas, from Old French and from Medieval Latin canavāsium, both ultimately from Latin cannabis, hemp; see cannabis.]
a. a heavy durable cloth made of cotton, hemp, or jute, used for sails, tents, etc
b. (as modifier): a canvas bag.
2. (Art Terms)
a. a piece of canvas or a similar material on which a painting is done, usually in oils
b. a painting on this material, esp in oils
3. a tent or tents collectively
4. (Nautical Terms) nautical any cloth of which sails are made
5. (Nautical Terms) nautical the sails of a vessel collectively
6. (Knitting & Sewing) any coarse loosely woven cloth on which embroidery, tapestry, etc, is done
7. (Boxing) the canvas the floor of a boxing or wrestling ring
8. (Rowing) rowing the tapering covered part at either end of a racing boat, sometimes referred to as a unit of length: to win by a canvas.
9. in tents
10. (Nautical Terms) nautical with sails unfurled
[C14: from Norman French canevas, ultimately from Latin cannabis hemp]
1. a closely woven, heavy cloth of cotton, hemp, or linen, used esp. for tents, sails, etc.
2. a piece of this or similar material on which a painting is made.
3. a painting on canvas.
4. a tent, or tents collectively.
5. sails collectively.
6. any mesh-weave fabric of linen, hemp, etc., esp. one used as a ground in needlepoint.
7. the floor of a boxing ring, traditionally covered with canvas.
[1225–75; Middle English canevas < Anglo-French, Old North French « Latin cannab(is) hemp]
Canvaspaintings collectively; sails collectively; tents collectively; also used figuratively to mean ‘a wide range, a large expanse.’
Example: canvas of fancy, 1822.
The floor of the ring.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||canvas - a heavy, closely woven fabric (used for clothing or chairs or sails or tents)|
cloth, fabric, textile, material - artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers; "the fabric in the curtains was light and semitransparent"; "woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"; "she measured off enough material for a dress"
hemp - a plant fiber
|2.||canvas - an oil painting on canvas fabric|
oil painting - a picture painted with oil paints
|3.||canvas - the setting for a narrative or fictional or dramatic account; "the crowded canvas of history"; "the movie demanded a dramatic canvas of sound"|
|4.||canvas - a tent made of canvas fabric |
big top, circus tent, round top, top - a canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance; "he was afraid of a fire in the circus tent"; "they had the big top up in less than an hour"
field tent - a canvas tent for use in the field
Sibley tent - a light conical canvas tent erected on a tripod with ventilation at the top
collapsible shelter, tent - a portable shelter (usually of canvas stretched over supporting poles and fastened to the ground with ropes and pegs); "he pitched his tent near the creek"
wall tent - a canvas tent with four vertical walls
|5.||canvas - a large piece of fabric (usually canvas fabric) by means of which wind is used to propel a sailing vessel|
balloon sail - any light loose sail
fore-and-aft sail - any sail not set on a yard and whose normal position is in a fore-and-aft direction
foresail - the lowest sail on the foremast of a square-rigged vessel
reef - one of several strips across a sail that can be taken in or rolled up to lessen the area of the sail that is exposed to the wind
headsail - any sail set forward of the foremast of a vessel
mainsail - the lowermost sail on the mainmast
main-topsail - a topsail set on the mainmast
royal - a sail set next above the topgallant on a royal mast
save-all - a sail set to catch wind spilled from a larger sail
skysail - the sail above the royal on a square-rigger
square sail - a four-sided sail set beneath a horizontal yard suspended at the middle from a mast
topsail - a sail (or either of a pair of sails) immediately above the lowermost sail of a mast and supported by a topmast
|6.||canvas - the mat that forms the floor of the ring in which boxers or professional wrestlers compete; "the boxer picked himself up off the canvas"|
gym mat, mat - sports equipment consisting of a piece of thick padding on the floor for gymnastic sports
ring - a platform usually marked off by ropes in which contestants box or wrestle
|Verb||1.||canvas - solicit votes from potential voters in an electoral campaign|
solicit, beg, tap - make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently; "Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
circularize - canvass by using a questionnaire
|2.||canvas - get the opinions (of people) by asking specific questions|
survey - make a survey of; for statistical purposes
|3.||canvas - cover with canvas; "She canvassed the walls of her living room so as to conceal the ugly cracks"|
cover - provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
|4.||canvas - consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning; "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives"|
anatomize - analyze down to the smallest detail; "This writer anatomized the depth of human behavior"
diagnose, name - determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
diagnose - subject to a medical analysis
survey, appraise - consider in a comprehensive way; "He appraised the situation carefully before acting"
survey - make a survey of; for statistical purposes
compare - examine and note the similarities or differences of; "John compared his haircut to his friend's"; "We compared notes after we had both seen the movie"
check, check into, check out, check over, check up on, suss out, look into, go over - examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition; "check the brakes"; "Check out the engine"
assay - analyze (chemical substances)
audit, scrutinise, scrutinize, inspect - examine carefully for accuracy with the intent of verification; "audit accounts and tax returns"
screen - examine methodically; "screen the suitcases"
trace, follow - follow, discover, or ascertain the course of development of something; "We must follow closely the economic development is Cuba" ; "trace the student's progress"
خَيْشقِماش لِرَسْم اللوْحاتقِماشُ قُنَّبِ
olíumálverk á strigastrigi; segldúkur
n → Leinwand f; (for sails) → Segeltuch nt; (= set of sails) → Segel pl; (for tent) → Zeltbahn f; (Art: = material) → Leinwand f; (= painting) → Gemälde nt; under canvas (= in a tent) → im Zelt; (Naut) → mit gehisstem Segel; canvas chair → Liegestuhl m, → Klappstuhl m; canvas shoes → Segeltuchschuhe pl
canvas(ˈkӕnvəs) – plural ˈcanvases – noun
1. (also adjective) (of) a coarse cloth made of hemp or flax etc, used for sails, tents etc, and for painting on. canvas sails. seildoek قِماشُ قُنَّبِ (للأشْرِعَه) ленено платно lona plachtovina das Segeltuch lærred καναβάτσο lona purjeriie, lõuend کرباس؛ برزنت telttakangas toile בְּרֶזֶנט कैनवास jedra vászon kanvas strigi; segldúkur tela 帆布 캔버스 천 drobė brezents; audekls kanvas zeildoekseilduk, strie, grovt lerretbrezent ټاټ: يو ډول كلك ټوكرچه له پنبه وڅخه جوړشوى وى: يو شمېر خېمې (سركس lona pânză паруса; брезент; холст plátno, plachtovina; plátenný platno platno segel-, tältduk ผ้าใบ çadır bezi 粗帆布，油畫布 парусина; полотно کینوس ، خیمہ بنانے کے لئے کھردرا کپڑا vải bạt 粗帆布，油画布
2. (a piece of canvas for) a painting. He painted twenty canvases. skilderdoek قِماش (القُنَّب) لِرَسْم اللوْحات платно tela plátno die Leinwand lærred καμβάςlienzo lõuend پارچۀ مخصوص نقاشی maalauskangas toile בָּד צִיוּר चित्रकारी इत्यादि के लिए कैनवास के टुकड़े slikarsko platno vászon kanvas olíumálverk á striga tela カンバス (캔버스) 유화 drobė, paveikslas glezna; audekls kanvas doeklerretpłótno د انځوركښنى پارچه tela pânză полотно plátno platno platno målarduk ภาพวาด tuval; yağlı boya resim 一幅油畫 полотно مصور کی بنائی ہوئی ایک تصویر bức toan 一幅油画under canvas
in tents. living under canvas. in tente في الخِيام на палатки em tendas pod stanem in Zelten i telt σε αντίσκοινο en una tienda (de campaña) telkides در خیمه teltassa sous la tente בְּאֳהָלִים खेमे में रहना pod razapetim jedrima, šatorom sátorban di tenda í tjöldum sotto le tende 野営して 천막에서 살다 palapinėse teltīs di dalam khemah in tenten i telt pod namiotem په خیمه em tendas la cort в палатках pod stanom pod šotorom pod šatorom i tält ในเต็นท์ çadırda 在帆布帳篷內 в наметах خیموں تلے sống trong lều 过帐蓬生活的