Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to capitation: Capitation tax
1. A poll tax.
2. A payment or fee of a fixed amount per person, such as one remitted at regular intervals to a medical provider by a managed care organization for an enrolled patient.
[Late Latin capitātiō, capitātiōn-, from Latin caput, capit-, head; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Economics) a tax levied on the basis of a fixed amount per head
2. (Banking & Finance) capitation grant a grant of money given to every person who qualifies under certain conditions
3. (Statistics) the process of assessing or numbering by counting heads
[C17: from Late Latin capitātiō, from Latin caput head]
cap•i•ta•tion(ˌkæp ɪˈteɪ ʃən)
1. a poll tax.
2. a fee or payment of a uniform amount for each person.
[1605–15; (< French) < Late Latin capitātiō= Latin capit-, s. of caput head + -ātiō -ation]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||capitation - a tax levied on the basis of a fixed amount per person|
revenue enhancement, tax, taxation - charge against a citizen's person or property or activity for the support of government
poll tax - a tax of a fixed amount per person and payable as a requirement for the right to vote
n → Kopfsteuer f