Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to carbuncle: boil
1. A painful localized bacterial infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue that usually has several openings through which pus is discharged.
a. A red precious stone, especially a deep-red garnet cut as a cabochon.
b. A mythical gemstone said to emit light even in total darkness.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin carbunculus, small glowing ember, carbuncle, diminutive of carbō, carbōn-, coal; see ker- in Indo-European roots.]
car·bun′cu·lar (-kyə-lər) adj.
1. (Pathology) an extensive skin eruption, similar to but larger than a boil, with several openings: caused by staphylococcal infection
2. (Jewellery) a rounded gemstone, esp a garnet cut without facets
3. (Colours) a dark reddish-greyish-brown colour
[C13: from Latin carbunculus diminutive of carbō coal]
car•bun•cle(ˈkɑr bʌŋ kəl)
1. a local skin inflammation of deep interconnected boils.
2. a cabochon-cut garnet.
3. Obs. any rounded red gem.
[1150–1200; Middle English < Anglo-French < Latin carbunculus kind of precious stone, tumor, literally, live coal =carbōn-, s. of carbō burning charcoal + -culus -cule1]
1. A large, deep boil.
2. A red gemstone, generally a ruby or a garnet. However, Sherlock Holmes once had a case involving a blue carbuncle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carbuncle - deep-red cabochon garnet cut without facets|
garnet - any of a group of hard glassy minerals (silicates of various metals) used as gemstones and as an abrasive
|2.||carbuncle - an infection larger than a boil and with several openings for discharge of pus|
staphylococcal infection - an infection with staphylococcus bacteria; usually marked by abscess formation
carbuncle[ˈkɑːˌbʌŋkl] n (Med) → foruncolo
n. carbunco, furúnculo, infl. con pus,