Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cautery: chemical cautery
n. pl. cau·ter·ies
1. An agent or instrument used to destroy abnormal tissue by burning, searing, or scarring, including caustic substances, electric currents, lasers, and very hot or very cold instruments.
2. The act or process of cauterizing.
[Middle English cauterie, from Latin cautērium, branding iron, cautery, from Greek kautērion, from kaiein, kau-, to burn.]
n, pl -teries
1. (Surgery) the coagulation of blood or destruction of body tissue by cauterizing
2. (Surgery) Also called: cauterant an instrument or chemical agent for cauterizing
cau•ter•y(ˈkɔ tə ri)
n., pl. -ter•ies.
1. any substance or instrument, as an electric current or hot iron, used to destroy tissue.
2. the process of destroying tissue with a cautery.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin cautērium < Greek kautḗrion, derivative of kautḗr branding iron]
the act of cauterization, or burning away of dead tissue.See also: Surgery
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cautery - an instrument or substance used to destroy tissue for medical reasons (eg removal of a wart) by burning it with a hot iron or an electric current or a caustic or by freezing it|
cryocautery - an instrument for destroying tissue by freezing it
instrument - a device that requires skill for proper use
searing iron - a hot iron used to destroy tissue
|2.||cautery - the act of coagulating blood and destroying tissue with a hot iron or caustic agent or by freezing|
surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process, surgery, operation - a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
cryocautery - application of a substance that destroys tissue by freezing it
thermocautery - cautery (destruction of tissue) by heat
n. cauterizador, instrumento utilizado para destruir tejidos por medio de electricidad, calor o sustancias químicas.