centrifuge(redirected from centrifuged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. An apparatus consisting essentially of a compartment spun about a central axis to separate contained materials of different specific gravities, or to separate colloidal particles suspended in a liquid.
2. An apparatus in which humans or animals are enclosed and which is revolved to simulate the effects of acceleration in a spacecraft.
tr.v. cen·tri·fuged, cen·tri·fug·ing, cen·tri·fug·es
To rotate (something) in a centrifuge or to separate, dehydrate, or test by means of this apparatus.
[French, centrifugal, from New Latin centrifugus; see centrifugal.]
cen·trif′u·ga′tion (sĕn-trĭf′yə-gā′shən, -trĭf′ə-) n.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) any of various rotating machines that separate liquids from solids or dispersions of one liquid in another, by the action of centrifugal force
2. (Mechanical Engineering) any of various rotating devices for subjecting human beings or animals to varying accelerations for experimental purposes
(Mechanical Engineering) (tr) to subject to the action of a centrifuge
n., v. -fuged, -fug•ing. n.
1. an apparatus that rotates at high speed and separates substances of different densities.v.t.
2. to subject to the action of a centrifuge.
[1795–1805; < French, n. use of centrifuge (adj.) < New Latin centrifugus; see centrifugal]
A machine that separates substances of different densities by rotating them at very high speed. The denser substances are thrown farther outward than the less dense ones. A centrifuge can be used to separate cream from milk, or bacteria from a fluid.
Past participle: centrifuged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||centrifuge - an apparatus that uses centrifugal force to separate particles from a suspension|
haematocrit, hematocrit - a measuring instrument to determine (usually by centrifugation) the relative amounts of corpuscles and plasma in the blood
ultracentrifuge - a high speed centrifuge used to determine the relative molecular masses of large molecules in high polymers and proteins
|Verb||1.||centrifuge - rotate at very high speed in order to separate the liquids from the solids|
ultracentrifuge - subject to the action of an ultracentrifuge
spin - stream in jets, of liquids; "The creek spun its course through the woods"