Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A place of worship that is smaller than and subordinate to a church.
b. A place of worship in an institution, such as a prison, college, or hospital.
c. A recess or room in a church set apart for special or small services.
d. A place of worship for those not belonging to an established church.
e. The services held at a chapel: Students attend chapel each morning.
2. Music A choir or orchestra connected with a place of worship at a royal court.
a. A funeral home.
b. A room in a funeral home used for conducting funeral services.
[Middle English chapele, from Old French, from Medieval Latin capella, chapel, canopy, cape (perhaps from a shrine containing the cape of St. Martin of Tours), diminutive of capa, from Late Latin cappa, hooded cloak.]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a place of Christian worship in a larger building, esp a place set apart, with a separate altar, in a church or cathedral
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a similar place of worship in or attached to a large house or institution, such as a college, hospital, or prison
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a church subordinate to a parish church
4. (Protestantism) (in Britain)
a. a Nonconformist place of worship
b. Nonconformist religious practices or doctrine
c. (as adjective): he is chapel, but his wife is church. Compare church8
5. (Roman Catholic Church) (in Scotland) a Roman Catholic church
6. (Journalism & Publishing) the members of a trade union in a particular newspaper office, printing house, etc
7. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a printing office
[C13: from Old French chapele, from Late Latin cappella, diminutive of cappa cloak (see cap); originally denoting the sanctuary where the cloak of St Martin of Tours was kept as a relic]
1. a private or subordinate place of prayer or worship; oratory.
2. a separately dedicated part of a church, or a small independent churchlike edifice, devoted to special services.
3. a room or building for worship in an institution, palace, etc.
4. (in Great Britain) a place of worship for members of various dissenting Protestant churches, as Baptists or Methodists.
5. a separate place of public worship dependent on the church of a parish.
6. Chiefly Brit. the members of a trade union in a print shop.
[1175–1225; Middle English chapele < Old French < Late Latin cappella hooded cloak]
Chapela choir or body of singers; an association of printers, 1688; a chapter of a printers’ union at a certain press [modern].
1. A small church which is not a parish church.
2. A Nonconformist church.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chapel - a place of worship that has its own altar|
chantry - a chapel endowed for singing Masses for the soul of the donor
lady chapel - a small chapel in a church; dedicated to the Virgin Mary
house of God, house of prayer, house of worship, place of worship - any building where congregations gather for prayer
side chapel - a small chapel off the side aisle of a church
|2.||chapel - a service conducted in a place of worship that has its own altar; "he was late for chapel"|
كَنِيسَةٌ صَغِيرَةكَنيسَه داخِل مُؤَسَّسَهمَعْبَد، مَذْبَح
1. a place of Christian worship eg attached to an institution. a college chapel. kapel كَنيسَه داخِل مُؤَسَّسَه параклис capela kaple die Kapelle kirke; kapel παρεκκλήσιcapilla kabel نیایشگاه rukoushuone chapelle בֵית תְפִילָה किसी संस्थान से जुड़ा एक छोटा गिरजा crkva kápolna kapel kapella; bænhús cappella 礼拝堂 예배당 koplyčia kapela gereja kecil kapelkapell, kirkekaplica وړه كليسا capela capelă капелла kaplnka kapela kapela kyrka โบสถ์เล็กๆ ในโรงเรียน şapel 小禮拜堂 часовня گرجا ، عیسائی عبادت گاہ ngôi nhà thờ nhỏ 小教堂
2. a part of a larger church, with its own altar. kerkie مَعْبَد، مَذْبَح олтар capela kaple die Seitenkapelle kapel παρεκκλήσιcapilla kabel کلیسای کوچک kappeli chapelle חֶדֶר תְּפִילָה किसी बड़े गिरजा का एक हिस्सा kapelica kápolna kapel kapella cappella 礼拝所 부속 예배당 koplyčia kapela kapel kapelkapellkaplica وړه كليسا capela capelă часовня kaplnka kapelica kapela kapell ห้องสวดมนต์ dua odası 大教堂內的私人祈禱處 боковий вівтар بڑے گرجے کا حصہ nhà nguyện 大教堂内的私人祈祷处，小礼拜堂