Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to chaperon: Chaperone proteins
chap·er·oneor chap·er·on (shăp′ə-rōn′)
1. A guide or companion whose purpose is to ensure propriety or restrict activity: "to see and feel the rough edges of the society ... without the filter of official chaperones" (Philip Taubman).
2. An older person who attends and supervises a social gathering for young people.
3. A person, especially an older or married woman, who accompanies a young unmarried woman in public.
4. Any of a diverse group of proteins that assist macromolecules, such as proteins and nucleic acids, to assemble and fold into the proper three-dimensional structure as they are being synthesized. Also called molecular chaperone.
tr.v. chaper·oned, chaper·on·ing, chaper·ones
To act as chaperone to or for. See Synonyms at accompany.
[French chaperon, from chaperon, hood (since a respectable person who accompanies a young woman shields her from unwanted advances like a hood), from Old French, diminutive of chape, cape, head covering; see chape.]
chap′er·on′age (-rō′nĭj) n.
1. (esp formerly) an older or married woman who accompanies or supervises a young unmarried woman on social occasions
2. someone who accompanies and supervises a group, esp of young people, usually when in public places
to act as a chaperon to
[C14: from Old French, from chape hood, protective covering; see cap]
or chap•er•one(ˈʃæp əˌroʊn)
n., v. -oned, -on•ing. n.
1. a person, usu. a married or older woman, who, for propriety, accompanies a young unmarried woman in public or who attends a party of young unmarried men and women.v.t.
2. to attend or accompany as chaperon.v.i.
3. to act as chaperon.
[1710–20; < French: literally, hood, cowl, Middle French chape cape1]
chap′er•on`age (-ˌroʊ nɪdʒ) n.
See also related terms for hood.
Past participle: chaperoned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chaperon - one who accompanies and supervises a young woman or gatherings of young people|
den mother - a woman who supervises a den of Cub Scouts
duenna - a woman chaperon
housemother - a woman employed as a chaperon in a residence for young people
|Verb||1.||chaperon - accompany as a chaperone|
escort - accompany as an escort; "She asked her older brother to escort her to the ball"