Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to checkerboard: Checkerboard Assay
1. A board on which chess and checkers are played, divided into 64 squares of two alternating colors.
2. A pattern resembling the alternating squares of such a board.
(Chess & Draughts) US and Canadian a square board divided into 64 squares of alternating colours, used for playing checkers or chess. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): draughtboard
check•er•board(ˈtʃɛk ərˌbɔrd, -ˌboʊrd)
1. a board marked into 64 squares of two alternating colors, arranged in eight vertical and eight horizontal rows, on which checkers or chess is played.
2. a design resembling this.v.t.
3. to arrange in or mark with a checkerboard pattern.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||checkerboard - a board having 64 squares of two alternating colors|
checkers, draughts - a checkerboard game for two players who each have 12 pieces; the object is to jump over and so capture the opponent's pieces
chess game, chess - a board game for two players who move their 16 pieces according to specific rules; the object is to checkmate the opponent's king
gameboard, board - a flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for board games; "he got out the board and set up the pieces"
square - any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles; "a checkerboard has 64 squares"
diagonal - an oblique line of squares of the same color on a checkerboard; "the bishop moves on the diagonals"