Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to chelate: EDTA, Chelate Effect
Having chelae or resembling a chela.
A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions.
tr.v. che·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates
1. Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
2. Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.
(Chemistry) chem a coordination compound in which a metal atom or ion is bound to a ligand at two or more points on the ligand, so as to form a heterocyclic ring containing a metal atom
1. (Zoology) zoology of or possessing chelae
2. (Chemistry) chem of or denoting a chelate
(Chemistry) (intr) chem to form a chelate
[C20: from chela1]
adj., n., v. -lat•ed, -lat•ing. adj.
1. of or noting a heterocyclic compound having a central metallic ion attached by covalent bonds to two or more nonmetallic atoms in the same molecule.
2. having a chela or chelae.n.
3. a chelate compound.v.i.
4. (of a heterocyclic compound) to form a chelate in a reaction.v.t.
5. to combine (an organic compound) with a metallic ion to form a chelate.
Past participle: chelated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chelate - a heterocyclic compound having a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions|
|Verb||1.||chelate - form a chelate, in chemistry|
|Adj.||1.||chelate - relating to or characterized by chelation|
|2.||chelate - having or resembling chelae or claws|