Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
cher·i·moy·a(chĕr′ə-moi′ə) also chir·i·moy·a (chîr′-)
1. A tropical American tree (Annona cherimola) having heart-shaped, edible fruits with green skin and white aromatic flesh.
2. The fruit of this plant.
[American Spanish, from Quechua chirimuya.]
1. a deciduous shrub or small tree, native to the Andean highlands, which produces an oval fruit with cream-coloured flesh
2. the fruit of this shrub or tree
cher•i•moy•a(ˌtʃɛr əˈmɔɪ ə)
n., pl. -moy•as.
1. a tropical American tree, Annona cherimola, of the annona family, having yellow-brown fragrant flowers and leaves with velvety undersides.
2. the large edible fruit of this tree, having leathery, scalelike skin and soft pulp.
[1730–40; < American Spanish chirimoya name of the fruit; of uncertain orig.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cherimoya - small tropical American tree bearing round or oblong fruit|
cherimolla, cherimoya - large tropical fruit with leathery skin and soft pulp; related to custard apples
|2.||cherimoya - large tropical fruit with leathery skin and soft pulp; related to custard apples|
custard apple - the fruit of any of several tropical American trees of the genus Annona having soft edible pulp